Friday 4 May 2012

The Guggenheim, New York

Own photo
 This is the Guggenheim in New York, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright designed the building so that you took a lift up to the top floor and then walked down the slope to the bottom. When I was there this was not advertised that it was the correct way, and my family and I only found out about this after we had been to the gallery. The building is very different to my thoughts of Wrights work, Very light, with white render on the exterior and pale and light materials inside.
Own photo
 I personally don't think the widow letting the majority of the light into the stairwell matches the rest of the design. It does not flow, like the sloped ramp, or the ribbon window shaft going down the outside. It is very harsh and jagged. I do however love the idea of having lots of natural light, as it gives a positive feel to a space.
Own photo

No comments:

Post a Comment